The passwords protect the system from intruders, the users should change their passwords frequently to avoid no authorized security breaches.
The Solaris operating system passwords should have this characteristics:
- Six (6) to Eight (8) characters
- It should have almost two (2) alphanumeric characters and almost one numeric or special sign.
- It should be different than the username used to login.
- It should be different than the previous password, differing in almost 3 characters.
- It can have spaces.
- It should not be the reverse of the username.
This rules do not apply to the root user, nor any password created by the root user.